Sunday, December 20, 2009

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things!

We're all counting down the days we have left before family and friends arrive! Wow, it won't be long now! I had a very busy day today and thought I would show you just a tiny glimpse of some of my favorite things!!!

Everyone, I'm sure, knows the "Hippopotamus Song"!!! A few years ago I came home singing this song just about every night since our local radio station seemed to be playing it constantly!!! I really love it and my husband secretly sent out my two sons and eldest sons girlfriend (now daughter in law) in search of a stuffed "Hippopotamus"!!! They searched high and low and this is what they came home with. Great job don't you think???!!! He's truly adorable and I make a place for him every year now!!! This year he sits atop the television!! I also wanted to show you some stitched pieces given to me by some very dear friends. They are very special to me!

From Reita

From Reina

From Kathy


Some of my most favorite tree ornaments were made by the boys in grammar school. The flower pot bell and grapevine wreath was made by Harrison, the styrofoam snowman was made by Morgan. The boys are now 28 and 21! The brass ice skates were given to Harrison since he played hockey from about age 10 through high school.

This next snowman was made when my oldest son was in pre-school. The tag reads: "Heidi & Peter Pre-K2"!!! He was then known as "Morgan H" as there was also a little girl named "Morgan Lynn" in his class! For the longest time whenever anyone asked what his name was he always said "Morgan H"!!! How cute is that!!!
The wooden wolf ornament below was given to me by Morgan when he was maybe a freshman. The tag says 1996 and it's made of olive wood. Very nice! Then below that is a wonderful stitched piece made by Harrison! I'm not sure how old he was at the time but he had decided he wanted to cross stitch. He obviously was too young to grasp the concept but I saved it none the less! A couple years later I ran across this piece and decided that I wanted to save it forever and thought a Christmas ornament would be just right for it. The neighbor boy even stitched his initials on it! I can still see both little boys sitting on the couch in our basement, needles in hand!
The little "tongue depressor loom" shown below was also a school project Harrison brought home one year! How cute is that!!! If you look closely you can see that he signed his name at the upper side. And, of course, another one of his hockey ornaments!
"Morgan's 1st Christmas" sled ornament was made by a family member and has been on our tree for 28 years now! The little soldier pull toy was also one of his first ornaments.
Several wooden ornaments below were given to Morgan by my mother for his first Christmas. And, of course, the bubble lights which both boys loved!

Now, here's a gift that will surprise most of you! I received this one year from my youngest son Harrison. I think he was 8 or 10 years old at the time. He was always a very mechanical kid. (The neighbor lady came across the street one time to have him start her lawn mower. He was young enough that he wasn't allowed to cross the street by himself!!!!) Anyway, he wanted to learn to weld and after a few instructions from"Dad" this is what he made me! It's a little hard to see in the photo but it says, Love, William, Morgan, Harrison. He cut out hearts, a Christmas Tree and our house. I made the frame and cut-outs out of barn wood from my Granddad's barn. I put some sponged red poster board behind the tin so the cuts would show better.
And, along the bottom it says "Merry Christmas Mom".


Today was my last chance to make my traditional iced sugar cookies that the boys love so much. Anyway, I think they love them!!! I didn't make as many as I usually do but I think there will be plenty. Husband now has diabetes and I don't need them (love 'em, but don't need 'em!) so what doesn't get eaten for Christmas will go home with the boys!
Mixing the frosting!

Cookies "lying in waiting"!
Color mixed in ~ Yellow for Stars ~ Pink for Santa's
Blue for Bells ~ Green for Trees
Sprinkles have been added and part of them put away!
Whew!!! what a job ~ they wear me out anymore!
Time to pack them up, throw them in the freezer till Thursday!!!

Betsy ~ Just waiting for a morsel to fall from the counter!!!
It's hard work being "floor monitor"!!!

Just have to wrap the gifts and I "think" I'm ready!!! Can't wait to see all the kids and experience the joy of Chloe's 2nd Christmas!!! Next year we'll have a "new" grandchild ~ So Exciting!!!

Here's wishing you Peace, Love and Joy throughout this Holiday Season!!!
~~~Anita
















2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog. Your tree has some very special ornaments on it. Cookies will be loved by the boys and Chloe, too.

    Betsy must have gotten a Christmas bow when you had her bath on Saturday. She is just so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post. Thanks for sharing your ornaments and the stories behind them. Really love the welding ornament!! Love the Hippo too. Betsy is soo cute. Have a wonderful New Year!
    Theresa in NW Kansas

    ReplyDelete